Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Fruitcake City

On September 3 I wrote that I might have to reevaluate my long-held negative opinion of the University of California, Santa Cruz as a "hippie haven." As sometimes happens, I spoke (wrote, actually) too soon. 

Power Line's Steven Hayward posts a current job opening announcement from UCSC that is so far beyond the pale it appears to be Babylon Bee satire. Here is enough to give you the flavor.

The Critical Race and Ethnic Studies Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for a an Assistant/Associate Professor of Critical Race Science and Technology Studies (STS). (snip) A demonstrated record of research that de-centers Western scientific ways of knowing and challenges extractivist capitalist practices is especially welcome as are commitments to queer and indigenous ecologies, trans-species studies, and race-radical approaches to STEM.

I take back what I wrote earlier. UC Santa Cruz is still, and clearly wishes to remain, fruitcake city.