Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Whimsy

Buzzfeed accumulates lists of funny/snarky replies to semi-serious questions. One that caught my eye was entitled thusly, you can see it at Yahoo.com

25 Hilarious Viral Tweets About The Differences Between Sci-Fi And Fantasy

I particularly like no. 14, scroll down.

Let me clear it up for you: sci-fi is when you’re depressed about the future, fantasy is when you’re depressed about the past, and literature is when you’re depressed about the present.

No wonder I write non-fiction, I'm almost never depressed. Several other comparisons of the two genres are funny, one claims it is whether the protagonist lusts after an elf or a robot. 

Of the two genres, my preference has been Sci-Fi. The only fantasy series which held my interest were the Harry Potter novels and the Buffy TV series. I trudged through Tolkien and found Game of Thrones awfully dark.