Friday, September 30, 2022

Crunch Time

At least some of the time I am an optimist, or at least I don't anticipate the apocalypse on my watch. Recent comments by Russian President Putin, however, appear to be taking us closer to the use of nuclear weapons and that could ruin a lot of lives, including mine. 

I don't live near ground zero, which means getting to 'enjoy' the aftermath of starving, sick refugees and fallout instead of instant oblivion. I'm honestly not sure which would be worse. 

I'm relatively sure Ukraine will not be granted NATO membership while fighting continues. To do so would immediately mean, via Article 5, all of its members are at war with Russia. 

I don't sense a lot of member willingness to go there. Expect NATO to accept Ukraine's application and make some public show of considering it, just to make Putin unhappy. I believe Zelensky understands this and makes public protestations of wanting immediate membership for the same reason.