Tuesday, June 23, 2020

A Rebuttal to Safetyism

With all the reading I do you'd think I'd have run across this quote from Ben Shapiro which has been around for awhile. The version I like best is very slightly modified from his original, and is this:
My facts don't care about your feelings.
When I was young we said you have to be responsible for your own feelings, neither I nor anyone else "makes you" feel anything. You choose to feel one way or another.

Your feelings are not my problem, and I won't thank you for trying to make them mine. If you don't like the way you feel, choose to feel otherwise. If you can't manage that, change the circumstances which trigger feelings you don't like.

The Mountain West version of this is "Cowboy up." Fox’s Laura Ingraham likes the “Suck it up, Buttercup” formulation. The B-School version I shared with executives for whom I consulted, "My advice to whiners is 'Cope, dammit, the rest of us have to.'"