Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Remembering 9/11

Tomorrow we remember a group of Arab Islamists hijacking four loaded passenger planes. Two they flew into the World Trade Center and one the Pentagon. The fourth - brought down by a group of heroic passengers at the cost of their own lives - we believe was headed for the Capitol or White House.

9/11 was Pearl Harbor 2.0, the first time most Americans realized the Long War was more than a neocon obsession. Some 3000 people died that day, something only the 19 hijackers deserved. 9/11 happened 18 years ago in 2001, and is being called "Patriot Day."

I have not forgotten, nor forgiven, those responsible for 9/11 and their supporters.
----------

The DrsC had just returned from an RV trip to the Canadian Rockies on September 10th, 2001, meaning we'd crossed the border on the 9th. Had we stayed in Canada a couple more days we'd have been stuck as border crossings were closed for awhile after the event.

I remember I spent most of the first 24 hours watching TV. Internet hadn't yet become a common news source. Most people who weren't small children at the time remember those days vividly.

Five and a quarter years later I began this blog, which will have its 13th birthday this December. I'm not on Facebook and I don't Tweet. As a retired lecturer who enjoys writing opinion, the blog is my platform of choice.