Wednesday, July 1, 2020

So Far 2020 Sucks

The year 2020 is half over today, June is behind us and we commence the 7th month, July. So far this year, with the “good eyesight” name, has been a real downer.

We really didn’t need Covid-19, did we? I know I didn’t. And the lockdown, when most of those dying lived in long term care facilities where they had gone to die, if truth be told. The economy went in the toilet, the government responded by spending billions they didn’t have. Face it, 2020 has been a mess so far.

And it’s an election year which makes our super-partisan society even more hyper-partisan, each party hating on the other and agreeing about exactly nothing. I am less optimistic than formerly, and I blame the zeitgeist, one of those words that moody Germans use to describe the current mood.

I’m an old crock and I don’t see a return to what was normal a year ago anytime on the horizon. I hate wearing masks as I feel out of breath as a consequence. This is true at sea level and more so here at over a mile high. In spite of which I wear one.

If all of this isn’t bad enough, my lesser-of-two-evils choice for president is behind in the polls. He’s trailing a burned-out husk of a machine politician who is making a political virtue of doing and saying almost nothing coherent.

The first half of 2020 hasn’t been fun. I view the second half with trepidation.