Monday, July 13, 2020

Last Chance? Not This Year

The cover story in the new issue of Time magazine is headlined:
2020 Is Our Last, Best Chance to Save the Planet
Let me say up front, I have no idea if that is true. Environmentalists have cried “Wolf“ so often that they’ve taught us to ignore their plaintive cries.

While I have no idea if this time they are finally correct (pun intended), I can give you a prediction I know to be true. If they are correct, then the planet is really and truly, for certain, scr*wed. With Covid-19 abroad in the land, the environment is going to get little attention for the next couple of years.

The thing that can kill you in the next month always gets way more attention than the thing that can kill you in the next decade. Of course there is always the possibility that Covid-19 will solve the problem by killing half of us humans and vastly reducing our impact on the environment. That is how nature’s balance normally works.

Dang, I am not very cheerful on this Monday morning.