Monday, June 1, 2020

Another Wilson?

Former VP Joe Biden is the presumptive Democrat nominee to run against incumbent President Donald Trump. Biden’s misstatements and verbal stumbles are raising real questions about the state of his mind at age 78.

Sean Hannity has video from The Hill of a recent Biden speech, delivered at a church, wearing a face mask, talking about, among other things, the vice president candidate selection process. Go listen to it, his speech is rambling and semi-incoherent. Here is a quote:
The last couple of weeks, I’ve been making what I hope to be very serious national speeches about what I think we have to do… When I decided to decide, when I made the decision, Jill and I, it was Jill and I made the decision… I made the decision that it was important that there would be a woman Vice President — and by the way I promise you there are multiple African American candidates being considered.
It sure sounds like Jill Biden is running Joe Biden for president so she can be his consigliere, his éminence grise. There is precedent for a president’s wife to be the real executive, President Woodrow Wilson’s second wife Edith basically was president from his stroke in 1919 until his successor was inaugurated in 1921.

In the Biden case however, 69 year old Jill Biden, Ed.D, would probably hold the reins from day one. You may or may not be okay with Jill Biden as de facto President; it feels to me like bait and switch.