Monday, October 12, 2020

More About Columbus

A majority of Americans have European ancestry. Before signing onto the “hate Columbus” bandwagon, ask yourself a simple question. Would you be happier if your ancestors had remained in Europe? 

I cannot predict your answer except by considering my own. I am more than happy that my ancestors came to North America, some of them nearly 400 years ago. 

While it has been a tough job, building out what passes for civilization in North America has produced the world’s preeminent nation. It is a magnet for people with aspirations from all over the world.

I salute Christopher Columbus for having the salesmanship, courage and drive to first acquire the necessary resources and then accomplish the discovery-for-Europe of the Western Hemisphere, of North and South America. What he found wasn’t what he expected to find, but what he did find was darn amazing and very much worth honoring.