Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Dem Debates Summarized

I know I've had preliminary comments on nights 1 and 2 of the late July Democrat debates in Detroit. I've been waiting to find an overall summary which I was willing to recommend to you, and have found just that.

Sean Trende (felicitous name, eh?) analyzes politics for RealClearPolitics and, in my experience, does a good job of it. He summarizes what we learned from Detroit and combines it with what we learned from the first pair of debates in June. Here is a horseback summary for those who won't read his analysis:

Winners
Elizabeth Warren
Steve Bullock
Donald Trump
Andrew Yang

Losers
Kamala Harris
Beto O'Rourke
Amy Klobuchar
Julian Castro

Meh
Joe Biden
Cory Booker
Pete Buttigieg
Bernie Sanders

TBD
Tulsi Gabbard
Marianne Williamson

Everyone else is, in Trende's view, irrelevant.