Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Questions - Answered and Raised

Reflecting on the data at that Nate Silver article I referenced on Sunday clarified something I’d had trouble explaining to myself. I’ve been puzzled why Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) is such a fierce Democrat.

You remember my mentioning Silver’s ranking of the states by how much they swung left or right? The one that shows Wyoming farthest to the right, the most Republican? Well, it shows Hawaii to be the most Democrat of states.

A state where most people are Democrats is apt to elect someone who most completely exemplifies Democrat tendencies, and they selected Ms. Hirono. Question answered. 

I have a second question, why is Hawaii the most Democrat state? Possible reasons? The geography is unique. The cost of living is high. The populace is heavily Asian immigrant, although mostly 2-3 generations ago. The military has a large presence, at least on Oahu. 

On the other hand, it isn't the weather or the reliance on tourism. Florida with similar characteristics often votes Republican.