Wednesday, September 23, 2020

One Less Holdout

The Alaska Public Media website reports Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R?-AK) has changed her mind - a lady’s prerogative - and will not boycott the confirmation process for a new SCOTUS nominee. The site, a joint effort of AK’s PBS and NPR organizations, quotes Sen. Murkowski getting real:

We don’t have a nominee yet. You and I don’t know who that is. And so I can’t confirm whether or not I can confirm a nominee when I don’t know who the nominee is.

I do not support this process moving forward. Now, having said that, this process is moving forward with or without me.

Confirming conservative judges is one thing upon which all GOP senators agree. It looks like Mitch McConnell has this one wrapped up tight. This leaves Maine’s Susan Collins as the only likely GOP holdout, maybe even she will cave. Psychologists have proved it is difficult to be a lone dissenter.